I don’t have the pedigree of the Sewist and am just learning to sew. My interest in sewing initially arose out of my desire to make my own vintage-inspired baseball jerseys. I still am working toward that goal, I have developed a love of a lot of stuff sewing. In the process of Sarah teaching me how to sew, I’ve learned that I really like making hats—and would really like to learn more about hat-making. I wish that I could make jackets—I’ve been working on one for awhile now—and it’s really hard to make a tailored jacket (in case you didn’t know that).
I have no conception of what I can and cannot make. I’ll think that something is impossible (like making a golf cap) and it’ll be very easy, and well within my skills. I’ll think that I’ve developed that skills to make something else (such as the afore-mentioned jacket) and will really struggle. It’s a crap-shoot. At this point, I think that I like making accessories more than clothes at this point, but I don’t know if that’s a permanent thing or not.
I like unusual-looking natural fibers (there are some really intriguing wools out there) and mixing unusual fabrics with “normal” patterns. The Sewist made the shirt in the picture at the top of the page, but I think you get the picture of what I mean by that. A dog-printed quilting fabric isn’t necessarily what you’d think of for a men’s button up shirt, but I like it.
So, here are some sewing things about me:
- The first bag I made on my own was with vinyl—I almost broke the sewing machine.
- I really like appliqués.
- I really like making stuff for Sarah.
- I like it when Sarah sews stuff for me.
- I also like sewing stuff for our dog.
- Sewing has made me much better at using the iron.
- I hate, hate, hate pinning.
- I will try anything to avoid pinning—none of which work. Trust me.
- Sewing has really improved my “Scissor Skills”, which almost caused me to fail kindergarten back in the day—so I’m pretty proud of that.
- Someday, I would like to make my own fedora.
Other stuff you probably don’t want to know, but I’m going to tell you anyway:
- I love baseball.
- I also love comedy of all sorts—especially (and the Sewist thinks this is disturbing) syndicated comedy reruns.
- I grew up in a restaurant and bakery, so I have a hard time making food on a normal scale (I have a hard time not making gallons of soup at a time).
- I drink a lot of herbal tea. All sorts—mint, raspberry, blueberry, etc.
- I really love to cook and do most of the cooking in our house. (Except Sarah always makes the chocolate pie.)
- I love magazines.
Check out CraftyPod Episode #73: Men Who Craft, to hear more about how Josh started sewing.